Re: Kicad Tool Framework

On 08/10/2013 04:28 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 08:27:26AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
a) If tools are extended from a base class, the persistent behaviours could be inherited.

b) If tools are pushed on a stack when they become active, and if you have a mechanism(...)

Both of those are good for me, the second one is a little more complex
and in fact emulates at runtime the VTBL (for example in
lua virtual calls work *exactly* like that: when a method is not found
it get searched in the ancestor class).
> (...)
> Another simpler idea is to install fallback handlers, i.e.  everything
> that's not handled by the current tool is subject to 'default
> processing'.

Hi Lorenzo,

IMHO It's a bit similar, but not exactly the same: events come to a tool - it can then react and sometimes consume some of them so that other tools (lower on the stack) don't receive these events anymore. Event handlers are delegates (somewhat similar to signals/slots in Qt) and are dispatched dynamically by the TOOL_MANAGER. This could be probably seen as an enhanced virtual method mechanism... As for the default handlers - there can be a tool permanently residing on the bottom of the stack and dedicated for catching such events.

 Do we need dynamic method
composition? I.e. will tool A be *always* below tool B or there may be
a tool C below tool B?
I wouldn't preclude such scenario. Having a 2-level stack is as complex as having an N-level one.

I agree. The current 'left button' and 'right button' handlers are
awfully huge switch statements. Something a little more modular would be
helpful for the future :D
Fully agree :)

Exciting stuff,

That's independently of the GAL, I think some/most of this stuff would
be useful even for 'stock' kicad, however the GAL *requires* them... too
bad you can't have the xor blend in opengl:((( I really prefer the xor
contrast compared to Porter/Duff composition (maybe there is some shader
trick but good luck having it work fast on the Intel GPUs...).
Shaders aren't that bad under intel drivers (the GAL works just fine on a core i7 integrated graphics on my latptop, although Half-life 2 - a 10-year old game doesn't because some texture formats are not supported). Under Linux, if you want performance and truly standard-compliant OpenGL, I'm afraid you have to use the evil Nvidia binary driver...

Regard,
Tom