Re: Github part footprint filenames

On Aug 20, 2013 7:04 PM, "Chris Morgan" <chmorgan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Apparently I was living under a bit of a rock until today when I
> created a few test footprints with the new 'pretty' file format. I
> tried to find some documentation about the approach but it seems clear
> from discussion in the github thread and this testing that the idea is
> one part footprint per-file, and use of the new s-expression format. I
> was wondering though why this format isn't the default yet? I have a
> June stable build.
>
> So I was trying to figure out how we might name files that were stored
> in github. If we begin by assuming that pcbnew will use github
> directly, how should part footprints be named? Does the name inside of
> the footprint override the name in the filesystem, in the library
> editor?

It should not, I take your word that it is even in the kicad_mod file.
Think of it as write only information for the computer, and readable and
unnecessessary for the human.  The pretty footprint is named by the
basename of the filename in which it resides, which is the filename minus
the kicad_mod extension.

This is what was discussed when the format was designed, and what makes
fullfilling the PLUGIN::FootprintsEnumerate () call doable by simply doing
a directory listing and stripping extensions.  No need to read content.

As to what names you give to your footprints, I offer no help there.  I am
bad at it.