Re: Python-a-mingw-us Windows Debug Scripting Builds

On 8/31/2013 1:51 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> [...]
>> least to get a working build system.
>>
>> The PCBNEW dynamically loaded module required the same python debug suffix in debug builds.
>>
>> We also need to add the _DEBUIG preprocessor directive; But I expect this to change
>> compilation on Linux and Mac.
>
> Why?  Can't someone spell?
>
> Why _DEBUG, we already have DEBUG as our KiCad standard?  Maybe we should submit another
> patch and fix somebody's spelling.
>
> I am resistant to adding this to KiCad's build scripts, at least wholesale.
>

>> Just getting the debug build working was enough to know that something was wrong with the
>> scripting console initialisation as I instantly got a wxWidgets Debug Assert: AddPane()
>> NULL window ptrs are not allowed...
>
> Why the whole stack has to be built for debug is a mystery to me.  A person can run
> release builds on top of debug libraries, this is simply a few changes in command line
> options after all.
>
> The asserts are not because you are running under a debugger, but because the asserts have
> been compiled in as active.  This is one step away from my printf() alternative, its the
> same concept.
>

>> It is strange - running through an IDE works okay, but running through gdb or via the
>> command line results in the assertion. The error message from python says it cannot find
>> _std_d.pyd - yet it is there and doesn't appear to have any dependency problems.
>
> Further example of why printf() can make sense when a debugger does not, at least after
> you have narrowed the search space sufficiently.
>

>  So I'm
>> not sure why this is failing yet. The clues as to what's up are clearly there, but I
>> cannot piece them together yet.
>>
>> So I had some questions because there are a few options for us.
>>
>> (a) We/I can complete the fixes I've detailed above. I've selected the KiCad fix to only
>> generate the debug python suffix on pcbnew.pyd on Windows if it is a debug build.
>
> Please explain why _DEBUG must go into KiCad build. This is not a current requirement and
> I don't get it.  At least narrow it down to the subset of source files where you find it
> solves a problem.  It should not get passed to all source files.  If we wrap python
> interpreter instantiation into a C++ wrapper, then we can narrow down the files being
> affected by such poor spelling.
>

>> (b) We can doctor Python-a-mingw-us to not append the debug suffix when it's built as a
>> debug m
>> oodule.
>

> You are the only user of debug a-mingw-us builds, assume that.  If I had to debug anything
> not windows specific, I'd simply compile it for Linux and step through it there.  There
> source in some cases is the same.  If the bug was Windows specific, I'd add temporary
> printf()s, and remove them 10 minutes later by bzr reverting.
>

>> Q:
>>
>> (i) Does anyone see any output from the PyErr_Print() calls?

Try using a tool like Debug Viewer available from Microsoft.  If
PyErr_Print() is anything like wxLogXXX(), on Windows the output is sent
to the OutputDebugString() function which does not end up on stdout.
You can find the debug viewer here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

You must run the debug viewer as Administrator in order to see the
debugging strings.