Re: First impressions on fp-table

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 04:14:47PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> The ability to use any footprint library that is supported by a plugin
> without having to convert them to one of Pcbnew's formats is important
> for some users and certainly is more convenient.

Fully agree with that. Just looking for future issues from overpampered
users:P

> At some point, I plan on doing away with the cmp file.  I have to write
> the code so Pcbnew can save the new s-expr netlist file.  Once that's
> done, cmp files will go away as will the legacy netlist files.

Yay! That day there will be much rejoice

> readable without wrapping on a 1920X1200 monitor.  You can always change
> the library nicknames to something shorter.

Heck, on the laptop I only have 1024x768... I use custom libs so I don't
have that problem, however I find smd:C0805 too verbose for the
schematic, just my opinion. I'll code the option in some spare time,
then you'll decide if to keep it or not.

> I still have some testing to do with the footprint editor.  I'll see if
> I can make it more user friendly in this regard.

That's what testing and discussion are after all...

> I agree.  This is already on my list as well.  At some point, I plan on
> moving all the KiCad config files into the .kicad folder in the user's
> home folder on Linux.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do this
> for Windows users.  Converting the KiCad configuration settings in the
> registry to config files is not trivial.  I may make Windows user's
> reconfigure KiCad rather than try to convert the registry entries when I
> get around to this.

Agree on make users reconfigure, after all the longest thing to
configure are colors... it's not like there is a gadzillion options.
Why can't we simply use the same unix code for handling files in the
application data dir?

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl