Re: First impressions on fp-table

On Sep 25, 2013 1:28 AM, "Lorenzo Marcantonio" <l.marcantonio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 08:29:18PM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> > Now, for clarification:  along side the fp-lib-table which is global,
have a template or
> > default project table also in the home directory or ~/.kicad/.  This
project table only
> > gets loaded when pcbnew is loaded with no project, basically only from
the command line.

> > $ pcbnew
> >
> > (This is how I run the software. I never use the project manager.)
 When the program is

> Same here
>
> > invoked this way, that project table from home gets loaded, and you can
edit and save it,
> > and put environment variables in the lib_paths.
>
> Even simpler: why not simply graying out the project table when there is
> no current project ???

Because I would lose the project table default
inheritance/adoption and editing feature.

 (assuming that loaded boards implies a current
> project)
>
> > Since it has environment variables in it, e.g. ${PROJ_LIB_DIR} I could
actually use the
> > same ROW for all projects.
> >
> > (name project)(uri ${PROJ_LIB_DIR}/project.pretty)(type Kicad))
> >
> > I have a project.pretty, I am free to put that where I want by setting
env-var PROJ_LIB_DIR.

> What about 'system' preset variables containing, like, project name,
> project path an so on (your PROJ_LIB_DIR would came from *inside*
> kicad)? That would make happy even those users which like to keep
> libraries near the project.

A week ago I said this was not neceesary, but that is not the same as being
opposed to it.

In the pcbnew code we would need a service which cleary manages the notion
of "cuurent project or none".  I am not convinced what we have is good
enough.  I have done "save as" and things don't properly switch over.
Window title, project fp table, and now potentially an environment variable
all have to change.

Centralization of this project dedignation service in pcbnew is needed.
And it must handle "no project yet" state.