Re: MASM Boost dependency on Windows

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 02:18:19PM +0100, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> > Problem: gas uses AT&T syntax, not MASM one. YASM/NASM could be a better
> > bet.
> >

> So? The syntax isn't a reason as they've used GNU AS for the linux port.

Duh... I don't know then:D unless MASM has some magic trick for
interfacing with Windows...

> Having said that, the AT&T syntax is absolutely awful.

Naaah... it's mostly flipping source/destination and qualifying sizes;
since many other processor follow this route it's only an habit issue.
OTOH ARM assembly is ugly as hell (but it wasn't designed to be hand
written/read, so there is some logic in that).

> As Dick says, this completely breaks cross-compilation of Boost.

Well, can't say it is a good thing... as a workaround maybe supplying
precompiled (preassembled!) object for that couple of file could be
useful, too.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl