Re: Ratsnest for the GAL

On Oct 16, 2013 7:53 AM, "Dick Hollenbeck" <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looks promising, and super job on the presentation.
>
> Once you have it working, give some thought to using a special purpose
allocator for the elements of your container.   A memory pool scheme,
anchored on the container, might pay dividends if it removes the size test
for element allocations.  If you want the pool anchored on the container,
then overloading operator new is not best, but rather have a container
function do the allocations of its elements (from a pool it owns.)

Invariably
this means having an "in place" new operator for the element, not a normal
new operator overload.

 Such anchoring of pool in container is a separate decision from deciding
to use a fixed block allocator at all.  The fixed block allocator will be
worth it regardless of where the pool lives.  If you have to move elements
from one container to another, then anchoring the pool on the container is
not appropriate.  But you could then have a class that held all your
containers and a pool common to those containers.  I bring this up because
when instantiating hundreds of thousands of elements, memory heap calls can
be the bottleneck.

> Since you probably want the pool anchored on the container
>
> On Oct 16, 2013 4:10 AM, "Maciej Sumiński" <maciej.suminski@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> We need a ratsnest that works with the GAL, therefore I present to you
the blueprints for that part:
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kicad/+spec/ratsnest-gal
>>
>> I have seen many great ideas appearing on the mailing list, that's why
everyone is welcome to share thoughts. I believe it may lead to a
better/faster/more functional implementation in the end.