Partial fix for Mac OS X pcbnew text edit crashes; any suggestions to complete the fix?

Hi Everyone,

I was able to track down the cause of some pcbnew crashes on Mac OS X platform when attempting to edit existing text and "stop the crashing" with the following patch:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~andrew-plumb/kicad/kicad/revision/4381?compare_revid=4379

Related bugs include https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/768706 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1230090

Aside: I've been using the CERN https://github.com/mangelajo/KicadOSXBuilder scripts to semi-automate my Mac OS X bundle building.  Very handy!

While my patch does stop the crashes, the designer has to manually force a "View - Redraw" [Cmd-R] after every edit to refresh the canvas.  I haven't traced thru enough of the code to figure out how to make the "->Draw( ->GetCanvas()... )" operation happen after returning from the Text Edit event.

I had originally made my patch '#ifndef __WXMAC__' dependent (see http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~andrew-plumb/kicad/kicad/revision/4380?compare_revid=4379) but it was suggested in https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1230090 that '#ifndef USE_WX_OVERLAY' would be appropriate.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might complete (and test) this fix so the edits work (no crashes) and redraw cleanly?

Thanks!

Andrew.

--

"The future is already here.  It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson

Me: http://clothbot.com/wiki/