Re: KiCad look (the icon situation)

Dear Jean-Pierre,
I agree, updating documentation is such a pain when icons change and I
actually remember spending a long time on it. That is why I actually
let 2 years pass. I think 26px icons changed and improved a lot how
KiCad looks.

The thing is that from a graphical point of view the current KiCad
icons are a little bit a mishmash of colors and styles, I think it
would be good to make them belong to the same theme. More or less the
same thing was done with Tango icons for Linux.

Original Icons are vector-based SVG icons but unfortunately that does
not mean that they can be resized on any resolution. when you do a svg
to 26px png conversion and the svg icon has a vertical line that is
larger than 1/26 the width of the svg icon the result is a fuzzy
vertical line. This is a very well known problem in the graphic design
world and re-touching manually the PNG is always a must.

In the work for KiCad I did adjust each of the 460 icons but I have
not really done a great job because of the limited time (=large number
of icons). So some icons need to be fixed. However, what I cannot
really do is to maintain 460 icons, that is why I proposed to drop the
drop down menu ones.

So here we have two problems: 1) some icons are fuzzy, 2) many icons
are a mishmash of styles. Fixing both is hard but possible and would
give to KiCad was it is often perceived as a professional looking
software tool (like gEDA for instance)

To ease this transition I am offering to update some of the English
documentation too. I would ask the people who appear as maintainers of
the various non English docs to take care of their portion.

Regarding the icons in the drop-down menus, I of course see the
advantage of having additional info next to the menu item. I am a
great fan of it but if you like it to be done, it is necessary to do
it as it is normally done, for instance, in inkscape, see attachment.
icons in the drop down menues are smaller.

Some of the icons that Konstantin has made are much better than what we have.

In my opinion we could start by slowly update 5 or 10 icons each time
beginning from the most critical ones (e.g. Pcbnew left side)

Cheers
Fabrizio