Re: footprint library help needed

On 10/30/2013 12:10 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 10/30/2013 12:44 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>> On 10/30/2013 11:34 AM, Carl Poirier wrote:
>>> I'll do it.
>>>
>>> Where does the number 25 come from? If it's just a number off the top of your head, I'll
>>> do some resolution tests and see what looks good for say a minimum of 1280px width.
>>> (Netbooks will excuse me)
>>
>> IMO if a KiCad user is not using a dual monitor for design, then his employer is
>> under-valuing his time.  Employer is customer or boss or self.  This opinion extends well
>> beyond netbooks being inadequate.
>>

>> 25 is arbitrary (arbitrarily short).
>>

>> You need commit rights to library repo or already have them?  I will implement the CMake
>> uninstall feature for the libraries, so the old ones can be yanked in our linux script
>> before installing the new ones.  Or by anyone else using cmake for installation.
>>
>> Fortunately footprint names are not changing, and footprints which are already in BOARDs
>> are obviously not affected.  Schematic part libraries are not affected, 3D libraries are
>> not affected.  Only footprint library names, and for a user using fp_lib_table support, he
>> will be given your shiny fp-lib-table to ease the transition.
>>
>> I don't know how to make improvements without change.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> No objections from me.  I've already commented on this so I'm all for
> it.  The folks that devised this naming convention may disagree.

Carl,

Any footprint library picking dialogs will soon show the Description column, so the text
we put in that column is going "on stage" eventually.  It must be single line, and not
more than about 50-80 characters.

In the library picker, it will obviously be read only.  The only place to edit it will be
the fp-lib-table dialog, or a text editor.

Thanks for your help Carl!

Dick