Re: boost & gcc 4.8.1

On 11/11/2013 04:00 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
Hi Orson,

On 11/11/2013 11:47 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
On 11 November 2013 10:32, Maciej Sumiński <maciej.suminski@xxxxxxx
<mailto:maciej.suminski@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

     Boost downloaded by KiCad does not build with gcc 4.8.1 - it is
     already resolved in boost-trunk. I do not know what is the policy
     for applying patches that are going to be included in the
     mainstream, but just in case - the attached patched removes the problem.

CMake's ExternalProject_Add() can apply multiple patches, using the COMMAND continuation.
(BTW all *_COMMANDs can be continued with COMMAND.  I used to use && for command
continuation, but this requires a shell, not there on Windows.)

Since each patch applied via CMake's ExternalProject_Add() is a separate wish for
upstream, and some of those battles will be won and some lost, we are probably best served
by keeping our patches separate rather than combining them.  This way on the next release
of say, boost, the patches they did not take can easily persist if need be on our end,
rather than us having to doctor our combined patch file.

This is what I committed.  Hopefully it will work for you on linux gcc 4.8.1.

It works, the problem is gone now. Thank you.

Regards,
Orson

Thanks for digging this out.

Dick

     Regards,
     Orson

By the looks of it this is a 32-bit OS problem only? I certainly don't
have a problem with Boost compiling on Windows 7 x64 and
KiCad-Winbuilder is also using mingw32-w64 4.8.1 and compiles okay.

I don't have a 32-bit system to test on. It's certainly not *just* gcc
4.8.1 and Boost anyway.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Then it may be related to Linux exclusively, as I use 64 bit too and the
error occurs. More details can be found at:

Regards,
Orson