Re: WxPython scripting status

On 11/11/2013 11:48 AM, Vesa Solonen wrote:
> 11/11/13 03:00, Dick Hollenbeck kirjoitti:
>
>> But you are not a customer, haven't paid me a dime.  For you to be a customer, you would
>> have to had bought a support contract.
>
> I'd like to do that, for some other products as well...
>
>> But instead, you are an old friend.
>
> Thanks Dick, please consider yourself the same. It was worth it to visit
> Grenoble to meet you and others.
>
>> It works, you probably have cruft in the build directory.  Escalate through these steps
>> until it works:
>
> I always make sure I have a clean build directory before complaining, but...
>
>> The latest version lets you uncomment an OPT line near the top which brings in wxpython
>> support.  You can grab it from launchpad.
>
> There it is, the reason. -DKICAD_SCRIPTING=ON was not on my cmake
> options list as probably seen from the first mail.
>
> -DKICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
> -DKICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
> -DKICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
> -DUSE_FP_LIB_TABLE=ON
> -DBUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
> -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RELEASE
>
> With all of the above switches everything compiles fine. The build
> system not complaining the lacking switch and pulling headers from
> different wx versions still bugs me a bit.

All patches will be carefully considered.

When running wxpython, you no longer have the freedom to use a self built wx on linux,
because wxpython has made that choice for you.  wxpython's and kicad's use of python have
to be the same, and wxpython's and kicad's use of wxWidgets have to be the same, namely
the distro's choice, and that is currently wx 2.8.x not 2.9 or 3.0.

If you want to experiment with wxWidgets, you have to disable wxpython at least.

And in order to avoid allowing cmake's "find wx" from finding your self built or PPA
supplied wx 3.0 or 2.9, you probably have to install it into an unexpected place so cmake
CANNOT find it.  This is no problem since the best way to tell cmake about your
non-standard wx is to tell it where the 2.9 or 3.0 wx-config program is using a fullpath
within the UI based ccmake [sic].

Dick