Re: A tribute to KiCad quality

On 11/18/2013 11:45 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 18/11/2013 18:25, Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :
>

>> Does the windows build of KiCad use wxPython on wx 3.0?
>> Dick
>
> Currently wx 3.0 (on Windows) has a bug which make it not usable for Kicad:
> when changing the zoom level by the mouse wheel, a vertical scroll
> command ( in fact 3 successive scroll commands) is made by wxWidgets.
> In fact, the mouse wheel cannot be used since wx 2.9.5.
>
> I just reported this bug, but until it is fixed, the latest wx version
> usable is 2.9.4
>
> This does not happen on Linux.

To the linux user, there is a fence between 2.8 and 2.9/3.0.  That fence is significant.
On linux, the difference between 2.9 and 3.0 is not worthy of a conceptual fence.

On windows, you apparently have a different perspective, placing a fence between 2.9 and 3.0.

You have a different interpretation of "wx 3.0".  Having a conversation without agreement
on definitions used is a cause for a lot of confusion in life.  I suppose I could use the
phrase wx != 2.8, or "new wx".

I would never build 3.x/2.9 from a tar file.  Instead, I always have an svn checkout of
wxwidgets on my system.  This way I can travel the entire 2.9<->3.x version history and
use what I want, but so far it has always been svn HEAD with no regard to release status.

On November 15th, which was well after the 3.0 "revision TAG", they fixed a mouse scroll
wheel problem affecting wxListCtrl, you could not scroll a wxListCtrl with the wheel
unless you positioned the mouse on the scroll bar.

We use wxListCtrl in quite a number places, and this reflects badly on KiCad's usability.
 The commit comment says it got broken just before the 3.0 release.

After building wx's svn HEAD today, the problem is fixed and KiCad works better in
numerous places with wx != 2.8.  There is a very very long list of places where KiCad
works better with wx != 2.8.

If there's a motivation to use wx != 2.8, my question remains, how significant is the boat
anchor holding wxPython to wx == 2.8?  (Such boat anchor controls where we can go, and
where distros can go.)

Dick