Re: Alternative scrolling behavior

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 04:15:29AM +0200, Povilas Kanapickas wrote:
> This is quite inconvenient on laptop, where I'm used to touchpad. I'd

I assume there is a 'like to' here...

> Kicad to have the following behavior:
>
> <Wheel down> -- Scroll down
> <Wheel up> -- Scroll up
> <Wheel left> -- Scroll left
> <Wheel right> -- Scroll right
> <Ctrl> + <Wheel down> -- Zoom out
> <Ctrl> + <Wheel up> -- Zoom in
>
> I think I can implement this change myself. Could someone advice me
> where to look in the codebase? Are there any hidden dangers (e.g.
> key/mouse codes being hardcoded all over the place) that would make
> this task harder than it seems?

EDA_DRAWPANEL::OnMouseWheel would be a good starting point for me.
However IIRC *some* wx version don't have the distinction between
vertical and horizontal wheel (or maybe it was another toolkit, I don't
remember :D)

> What do the maintainers think about whether it's worthwhile to have
> this feature (selectable via a config option) in Kicad?

There is already is the middle button toggle, so IMHO a wheel option
shouldn't hurt.

However I find the best navigation strategy is to zoom out-move-zoom in,
instead of panning: way faster and a lot less movement required.

PS: how lucky you are to have a *bidimensional* wheel on a laptop?!
Usually there are only two button and a single 'wheel' (two button
emulation) on the pricier models:P

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl