Re: some unexpected errors while testing the CvPcb program

On 11/21/2013 2:44 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

>> This would apply to any library plugin that stores multiple footprints
>> in a single file.  Although it might be confusing to the user to see
>> that a footprint name with an "illegal" file name characters has been
>> changed unexpectedly.  It might be more prudent to check for illegal
>> names and warn the user that footprint will be renamed when saving to
>> the pretty format rather than changing them at load time.
>
> Really, it has to happen on load, since you cannot parse and FPID string which has : or /
> in the library name, and / in the footprint name.
>
> So two separate policies are needed, one for nicknames and one for footprints, and
> footprint renaming has to happen on load, else you will blow up well before you go to
> save, just parsing and FPID.

The footprint name filtering should also happen when loading legacy
libraries just in case there are some rogue libraries out there.  I've
haven't run across any but I would never bet against Murphy.  The
footprint naming policy is easy.  Checking for illegal characters of all
of the supported platform file systems ( '/' and '\' at a minimum but
there may be others ) will be required to ensure footprint names are
valid on all systems.  As far as library nicknames, only : and / are
invalid.