Re: KiCad symbol and footprint libraries

On 11/25/2013 08:25 PM, Edwin van den Oetelaar wrote:
> Just for your information, Dick has worked on using Eagle libraries
> directly.
> The new eagle libraries are in XML and that makes editing easy.
> I am going to try to use that function.
> I already have some projects and footprints (and a full license for
> eagle version 5 but not 6) and do not want to do the work again.

I certainly don't propose the central Kicad repository to be the only
possible way to publish your own symbols and footprints. It's only
another option. I think that it's perfectly reasonable not to chase the
latest formats if there's any kind of migration cost, so we agree here :-)

By the way, note that the Farnell Eagle libraries are published under
"free, as in beer", not "free, as in freedom" license. This means they
can't be used for certain open hardware projects. So it's still useful
to have an open source footprint library with a proper license.

Regards,
Povilas Kanapickas