Re: Next steps

On 11/29/2013 11:29 AM, mj wrote:
(...)
What do you call the one in demos/complex_hierarchy?
It's reusing the same schematic twice with differnent annotations (done
this before, saves quite some time doing a switch matrix - but with
hierarchy labels).
Guess if it's using hierarchy labels, it's a subschematic in your
terminology?

I am talking about those files:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-testing-committers/kicad/testing/files/head:/demos/complex_hierarchy/
If you open the schematics, you will find two embedded blocks referencing to other schematic files that I call subschematics (I do not know the proper name in the KiCad world). But it seems that we agree about the subject, it is just the naming that may differ.

(...)
Ditching the module editor may be not such a good idea, you still need
an editor for preparing footprints. And still it does not solve the
problem of backannotation.
Given it's possible to use boards as parts and add pads pcbnew, it
should replace the module editor - or am I still missing some important
parts?

But would not it mean that after dropping the module editor you are limited only to the footprint libraries that were created before? (Or create new footprints using vim/emacs?). Or rather do you mean to compose boards from other board files containing footprints? I think the latter could work, but probably there reasons to keep them separate. Probably the main developers could shed some light on the topic. How about preparing a blueprint, so we could collaborate on that further, have some comments from others? (And do not let it become forgotten).

Regards,
Orson