Re: Proposal: reorganize the components library

On 12/07/2013 03:19 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 12/7/2013 2:45 AM, Povilas Kanapickas wrote:
>> I've already got a reply off-list that equivalent functionality is
>> already developed (I couldn't find any discussions on the list until now
>> unfortunately). It thus makes sense to scrap the proposal. Perhaps I can
>> help whoever is working on the new library file format?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Povilas
>>

> This work is already complete and is about to become the default
> setting.  Hopefully this will happen today.  I'm just waiting to hear
> back from JP.  There is really no coding left to be done other than
> fixing any remaining issues.  You can test this code by building KiCad
> with the CMake flag -DUSE_FP_LIB_TABLE=ON.  Even better, also set
> -DBUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON to enable the GitHub plugin.  Then you will
> really appreciate the full potential of the new footprint library file
> format.  The documentation for the GitHub plugin is currently only
> available in the developer documentation (I'm currently working on
> adding it to the user documentation as well) by running `make
> doxygen-docs`.  Look at the GITHUB_PLUGIN class documentation for
> information on configuring the GitHub plugin.
>
> Wayne

I'm fully aware that footprint libraries are already restructured :-) My
proposal was about for the symbol libraries, i.e. those defined in *.lib
files. AFAIK there's no alternative format for them yet, though I was
told in an off-list email that some work is being done.

Regards,
Povilas

P.S. Just out of interest, could someone give a two sentence overview
over why custom, non XML/JSON/etc. format has been chosen for various
serializers in KiCad? I've tried to search in the email archives but the
decision and arguments for it seem to be burried sufficiently deep
enough :-)