A side story about gcc issues...

It came to me the recent messages about new features in the new
compilers.

I'm using gcc 4.8.1 on x64. Tried to build the msp430 port of gcc 4.7
(it should support the 20 bit addressing modes, which is obviously
cool:D).

The built cross compiler segfaults (building it's own libgcc... ah the
irony :)

Looking around it seems that mspgcc *miscompiles* with anything later
than 4.6.4. So no 4.7 or 4.8 for building it, you need to downgrade.
A compiler that can't compile a port of itself, fun. Good luck if you
need to certify the compiler output, then...

I *hate* bugged compilers. Not that commercial ones are much better...
Microchip with the new tools lost source compatibility with both the
C compiler and the assembler (how can they change the assembly syntax
with no warning???)

End of rant. Be careful upgrading:D

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio