Re: wxAui improvements.

On 12/09/2013 04:25 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 12/9/2013 10:14 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
On 12/09/2013 03:06 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 12/9/2013 3:49 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
On 12/07/2013 01:42 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
I have just committed a small change to the testing branch (r4529) to
the Pcbnew footprint viewer that will allow the main toolbar to be
dockable.  I would like some feedback about how well saving and loading
the window state between session works on various platforms before I
start to do this to all of the KiCad application main frame windows.
The wxAui stuff was put in place a few years ago with the intent that
all of the fancy layout features would be enabled.  Since that hasn't
happened I thought I would start working on it incrementally rather
than
get carried away an create a lot of problems.  When you have some spare
time, please test it and let me know if there are any major issues.  I
don't have wxWidgets 3 on my Linux partition and no access to OSX so
feedback from those users is very important since I cannot test those
platforms.

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

It is a great idea to have dockable toolbars. I tested it with wxWidgets
2.8/Linux and the freshest wxWidgets 3.0 and in general it works fine
and the position of toolbar is saved.
One major problem I stumbled upon is that while using wx3.0, I somehow
lost the toolbar and now I cannot recover it. It could be an issue of my
window manager, but anyway - it could be good to have a menu where one
can toggle toolbars visibility.

Regards,
Orson

Hey Orson,

You should not be able to close the footprint viewer tool bar.  I
intentionally have the close button disabled.  If you managed to close
it, then there is a bug in wxWidgets.  What platform and wxWidgets
version where you using when this occurred?  If I can duplicate it, I
might be able to fix it.  As I apply this to the other KiCad apps, I
will add menu entries to show tool bars that have been closed.
Unfortunately the footprint viewer does not have a menu so I may have to
do something about that in the future if we want to be able to hide the
tool bars.  Thanks for the help with testing.

Cheers,

Wayne

I am not really sure, but it was rather wx3.0/Linux. As I said - I
cannot recover the toolbar now, so I am not able to reproduce the issue
at the moment, but I am going to try again on a different machine.
My window manager does not display titlebars, neither
close/minimize/maximize buttons, so I just close windows by using a
hotkey and it could be the case. I will confirm it later.

Cheers,
Orson

That's strange.  I'll see if I can duplicate it.  You can get the
footprint viewer toolbar back by deleting the ModViewFramePerpective
entry from the .pcbnew configuration file in you home folder.  This will
return the footprint viewer back to it's default position and size the
next time you open it.

Thank you for the hint. Now I am sure that I closed it using a hotkey, as in every other case (both wx2.8 & 3.0/Linux x64) it is saved & restored correctly. Also, I am not sure if it is possible with regular window managers, but if I close the pcbnew window before the footprint viewer, the position is not saved, but the previous one is used.

Cheers,
Orson