Re: TODO: remove this whole "if test" on or after 14-Jan-2014 and remove the system/*.s sources if no one complains by then.

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

-------- Original message --------
From: Marco Serantoni <marco.serantoni@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:01/03/2014  8:46 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: KiCad Developers <kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: dick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: TODO: remove this whole "if test" on or after 14-Jan-2014 and remove the system/*.s sources if no one complains by then.

Dick,
I’ve to support multiple processors,I’ve just ended to spit blood implementing it in boost for PPC32 an PPC64 in asm to add support in boost::context. ( https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/8266 ).
Now i’m building all for three platforms, then i’ll try to do a more extensive testing of kicad applications.
I’ll try to test and change your code if needed, but which is the problem with using directly boost::context ?

—
Marco

Your work is squarely on the solution path we discussed on the mailing list six weeks ago: remove assembly language from our project and put newly needed support, if any, into boost:context and use that.  The known missing support at the time of that discussion was gas support for MINGW.

I added that patch the other day to follow your patches.  That puts all work on the same solution path as discussed.

However, up until yesterday, we were still putting CERN patch into libcommon for MINGW.   That means up until yesterday MINGW builds were taking the CERN patch in links in preference to mine in boost:context.

In software we don't assume.  I was unwilling to assume that CERN s patch and mine worked equally well because I never tested  my mingw boost:context patch.  So I left the referenced if block in libcommon's cmakelists.txt file as an indicator and as a safety net for MINGW developers.  They should remove it when they are satisfied.

As to your work, I am satisfied with it if you are.  Nobody ever bought me a mac 4 years ago when I offered to support kicad on it.  So your testing and work on the mac is very valuable to the project.

I will stick with linux for the foreseeable future.  But have immeasurable experience developing for windows.

No experience on the mac, so i am glad that you are in good communication with the project.

BTW, did you read the blueprint on modular kicad?

Duck.