Re: The problems with wxString

On 01/02/2014 07:04 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

In my opinion if the class is specifically designed for
UTF8, we could drop the std::string iterator.

It is, but it is for strings, not UTF8 character manipulation.  Its best use is at the
edge of the system in helping with serialization and de-serialization to disk, clipboard,
other byte oriented peripherals TBD.  Futurer brain interfaces, etc.  whatever needs 8 bit
data.

As I said before, if I wanted to rewrite wxString, I would have done it in one line of
code via:

typedef  std::basic_string<uint32_t>  MYSTRING;

One might even call it wxUString:

   http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_u_string.html

But my intent with class UTF8 was not to *replace* wxString.  It was to overcome the 3
stated deficiencies, and only those, such that serialization to 8 bit strings was easier
to look at.

Definitely not.  There are few expected side effects to treating it like a std::string.
If you find one, I'd rather you work in wxStrings.

Now that the 3 stated deficiencies of using wxString are gone, that makes my objections to
using wxString also gone.  This was achieved by augmentation from the outside.

Dick

It was just my opinion, but given the arguments and some more thoughts, now it seems more and more sensible. As my concerns were related only to naming, not the implementation - it would be good to apply the patch and see the new class in action.

Regards,
Orson