Re: DRC pads

On 1/15/2014 7:40 AM, ml wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I found that the DRC passes when two pads within the same net but different
> footprints are overlapping. The code is (pcbnew/drc.cpp):
>
> // The pad must be in a net (i.e pt_pad->GetNet() != 0 ),
> // But no problem if pads have the same netcode (same net)
> if( pad->GetNet() && ( aRefPad->GetNet() == pad->GetNet() ) )
>   continue;
>
> Is there any particular reason to allow two pads with the same net to overlap?
> This is actually very wrong. If you have two SMD components with overlapping
> pads then you can't solder them.
>
> David

Yes, there are reasons to allow two pads with the same net to overlap.
I create boards that have to accommodate a large variety of wire sizes.
 Since you cannot create a pad with multiple holes in KiCad, I need to
be able to overlap the two pads to conserve space and to meet my wire
size requirements.