Re: Kicad Version Number

On 1/28/2014 9:46 AM, Adam Wolf wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm (still...) working on getting decent Debian/Ubuntu packages into
> Debian/Ubuntu, and one of the boxes I need to fill out is "upstream
> version number".  As far as I know, Kicad doesn't really have version
> numbers, but maybe this has recently changed.  Would the bzr revno be a
> horrible version number?  Because that might change if we ever change
> vcses, would 1.bzr revno be a better choice so we can increment the
> major number?
>
> Adam Wolf
> Wayne and Layne, LLC

Adam,

For the time being, I would stick with the bzr version number.  Except
for my major faux pas a while back which munged up the sequence by 1, it
makes it easier for users when reporting bugs since we still have issues
getting folks to copy the version info from the clipboard.  I would use
bzr.rxxxx or rxxxx.bzr which ever plays nicer with the dpkg version
parser.  When and if we ever convert to another VCS, we can address the
issue at that point.  As long as the importer for said VCS works
correctly, the version information should be preserved.  We didn't loose
anything on the transition from Subversion to Bazaar so I think your
pretty safe using the bzr version.  Are you planning to build your
packages with the GitHub plugin enabled?  It would be nice to get a few
more users testing it and more folks contributing high quality
footprints.  Thank you for all of your hard work.

Cheers,