Re: PATCH: making component choosing (much!) more usable

On 12 February 2014 14:54, Tomasz Wlostowski <tomasz.wlostowski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/12/2014 09:34 AM, Henner Zeller wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Choosing components in the schematics editor is very cumbersome right now.
>> (...)
>>

>> So I sat down and thought about how it _should_ be.
>>
>> This is what I came up with, see patch:
>>
>>    - interactive search-as-you-type
>

> Hi Henner,

Gruetziwohl to Switzerland,

> I just compiled eeschema with the patch. The browser is simply *awesome*!

Thanks :)

> I sincerely hope we'll see more cool stuff from you :-)
>

>> There is another feature I'd like to add in a separate patch: show a
>> little
>> drawing of the currently selected component in the left bottom corner
>> (left blank right now) when selected with the mouse popping up the library
>> viewer. I left it as a dummy in this patch as I didn't want to make it too
>> big.
>
>> (...)
>
>> Of course, you might have suggestions - let me know what to improve.
>

> Few extra features that came to my mind:
> - footprint/3D preview,

In general, we need a better way to connect schematic symbol with
footprint. CvPcb can't be
the solution forever :)
At this component select state, there is no footprint chosen yet, so
we can't display
it right away.

> - browser as a dockable window instead of dialog,

Yes, if this would pop up next to the mouse in smaller, this could be
really useful.
I don't have much experience with wxWidgets yet, but will play with that.

> - possibility to assign the footprint on the schematic,
> - and save the above to the SCH library.

I haven't thought in detail about the footpring/schematic problem, but
it is definitiely one other thing
that bugs me. I might formulate that in C++ one day :)

> This may soon become possible thanks to the DLLization work being done.
>

>> Download it here:
>>
>> https://github.com/hzeller/kicad/compare/master...component-chooser-experiment.diff
>>
> BTW. Are you using git-bzr-ng or some other tool to work on bzr repos with
> git?

I don't have to do anything bzr related or use a git-bzr-ng. I fork
off the github bazaar mirror by Blair Bonnett and then have local
branches that I can work with in my own github space.
Github provides the UI to display the whole change as nice visual diff
or download it as unified diff.
(There is a KiCad github mirror as well, but it is typically
out-of-date, Blair's is updating more frequently.)

-h