Re: PATCH: making component choosing (much!) more usable

On 02/12/2014 09:34 AM, Henner Zeller wrote:
Hi,
Choosing components in the schematics editor is very cumbersome right now.
(...)

So I sat down and thought about how it _should_ be.

This is what I came up with, see patch:

   - interactive search-as-you-type

Hi Henner,

I just compiled eeschema with the patch. The browser is simply *awesome*! I sincerely hope we'll see more cool stuff from you :-)

There is another feature I'd like to add in a separate patch: show a little
drawing of the currently selected component in the left bottom corner
(left blank right now) when selected with the mouse popping up the library
viewer. I left it as a dummy in this patch as I didn't want to make it too big.
> (...)
> Of course, you might have suggestions - let me know what to improve.

Few extra features that came to my mind:
- footprint/3D preview,
- browser as a dockable window instead of dialog,
- possibility to assign the footprint on the schematic,
- and save the above to the SCH library.

This may soon become possible thanks to the DLLization work being done.

Download it here:
https://github.com/hzeller/kicad/compare/master...component-chooser-experiment.diff

BTW. Are you using git-bzr-ng or some other tool to work on bzr repos with git?

Cheers,
Tom