Re: Documentation footprint postscript/pdfs in kicad-library are HUGE bitmap images.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:10:17PM -0800, Henner Zeller wrote:
> parts, I have not entered the printing realm yet - what is the
> commandline way to generate a postscript file from a *.sch or *.brd
> file ? That way, these things can be automated in a Makefile.

Kicad self-nominated plotting driver expert here :D

> Does KiCad generate/export PostScript directly without going through
> some generic wxWidgets way of printing ? If not, I could have a stab
> at it (I usually write PostScript by hand for fun).

Not only it does postscript by hand, it does PDF and DXF and SVG too
(SVG it's not my work). That's because the wxWidget print thing simply
doesn't work (seems they fixed it on 3.0).

pcbnew has plotting already bound to python so it would be easier.
I don't think there are command line options to plot directly.

eeschema has no scripting support, yet.

Sadly in many cases there is no proper UI/model decoupling so it is
necessarily not an easy thing to do. Your best starting points are
actually the plot dialogs...

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl