Re: 3d-viewer patches

On 2/22/2014 5:53 PM, Martin Janitschke wrote:
> Heyho,
> there are currently two reports with different wrl files causing the
> 3d-viewer to crash at different places.
> The reports are:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/673603 and
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/804778 .
>
> The patch
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/804778/+attachment/3991942/+files/fix-3d-viewer-parsing-segfault-v2.patch
> avoids both crashes. I would be happy if it will be reviewed and applied.

Patch committed in r4716.  Thanks again for all of your hard work
cleaning up the bug report database.

> It does not fix the rendering problem with what has been parsed (the
> wrl from the second report can be opened in firefox as reference).
> Are there plans to support the complete wrl syntax?
> Or should the 3d-viewer display an error that it encountered some
> models which might not have been parsed correctly and an note how to
> convert those files to simpler, understood, files? (This would save us
> from new reports about incorrect display of 3d models).

My opinion is that if we do not support the complete the full WRL syntax
that we should at the very least inform the user that a given WRL
keyword is not supported.  A sensible error message that can point
developers in the right direction would also be useful.

Thanks,

Wayne