Re: Text in opengl

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:13:27AM +0100, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> line, so you need a way to tell GPU that there should be a break. It is
> better explained here (for triangles), chapter "Use Triangle Strips to Batch
> Vertex Data":

GL_LINES, then. However endpoints would be drawn twice; if fragment
testing is done correctly (and IIRC it is) shouldn't be a problem.

> a) Why do you think so? It is just one black & white texture containing all
> characters (e.g. http://i.stack.imgur.com/VFKM2.gif) and then it is simply
> referred to when drawing characters. Textures can also be colorized, so the
> bitmap black & white is perfectly fine.

How many characters? The full BMP, maybe (since we have unicode...);
It's not *so* easy. Need thinking.

> b) Maybe there are some ways to sharpen textures, but I am not very familiar
> with the topic.

Grid fitting after rasterization AFAIK can't be done... but maybe there is
a fragment shader trick to pick the 'right' pixel.

> But for lines made from triangles it works
> http://oi58.tinypic.com/21n2s1j.jpg (yup, it is buggy, there is something
> wrong and currently I do not know how to fix it).

Yes, but you pump triangles, not lines :P the current trend for GPUs
seems to be that.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl