Re: Gerber files opened from main app GUI

On 3/4/2014 1:44 PM, Nick Østergaard wrote:
> I would like to get some answers to Cirilo's quesitons. I have
> successfully been using the attached patch, just to make the kicad app
> render the icons and open correctly for all gerber files in the tree.
>
> Nick

> <mailto:cirilo_bernardo@xxxxxxxxx>>:
>
>     I've been looking into the issue of the main kicad GUI not
>     associating GB?, GT? files with Gerbview and I have a few
>     observations and questions:
>
>     1. the string GerberFileExtension is currently defined in
>     common/wildcards_and_files_ext.cpp but it is only used in the kicad
>     main app.
>
>     2. likewise, GerberFileWildCard is defined in the same file and only
>     used in the main app.
>
>     3. in
>     kicad/tree_project_frame.{cpp,h}, TREE_PROJECT_FRAME::GetFileWildcard does
>     not appear to be used anywhere in the KiCad tree.
>

>     My questions:
>
>     1. Current definition of GerberFileExtension is:
>
>     const wxString GerberFileExtension( wxT( "pho" ) );
>
>     If I change it to this line:
>
>     const wxString GerberFileExtension( wxT(
>     ".((gbr|(gb|gt)[alops])|pho)" ) );
>
>     then the kicad main app correctly associates the various gerber file
>     extensions with gerbview.
>     Is is a good idea to make this change? After all, only
>     TREE_PROJECT_FRAME in kicad/ makes use of it.

Cirilo,

Nice job on the wildcard filter patch.  It works as expected.  I will
commit it as soon as I can.

>     1b. The leading '.' in the string is essential since the string is
>     used to form a regexp by adding it to a regexp string beginning with
>     "^.*\" In fact, I wonder if the regexp part (line 497 of
>     tree_project_frame.cpp):
>
>                 reg.Compile( wxString::FromAscii( "^.*\\" ) + ext +
>                              wxString::FromAscii( "$" ), wxRE_ICASE );
>
>     should actually be:
>
>                 reg.Compile( wxString::FromAscii( "^.*\\." ) + ext +
>                              wxString::FromAscii( "$" ), wxRE_ICASE );
>
>     This way we are assured that there is a '.' before the extension.
>     Any comments?

Doesn't work (at least on windows).  I just tried it.

>     2. Since no other app makes use
>     of GerberFileExtension/GerberFileWildCard, should we simply move
>     these definitions to tree_project_frame.cpp ?

No.  Eventually there will be a single binary so it wont matter.

>     3. Is TREE_PROJECT_FRAME::GetFileWildcard cruft which can be removed
>     or is it part of code in development?

It's not used anywhere so unless someone else is planning on using it, I
see no reason to keep it.

Wayne