Re: i want to contribute, need tasks

Dileep,

Thanks for asking.  I realize I did not give you clear instruction, here is more.

On 06.03.2014 08:07, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 06.03.2014 07:56, Dileep Kumar wrote:
>> hi team,
>>                 This is Dileep. I'm pursuing M.tech in VLSI Design.
>> Apart from VLSI Flow (and experience on other proprietary EDA Tools like
>> Cadence Virtuso), i'm familiar with Perl,Tk. Kindly suggest me tasks.
>> I'm willing to learn other languages as well. I'll be doing this work as
>> a part of my academic work.
>>
>> Kudos
>> Dileep Kumar
>>

> You could start writing a new top level wxPython based project manager.  I have this to do
> for milestone C) of modular kicad.

> For now, simply duplicate the functionality of the
> kicad.exe program.

Well feel free to innovate beyond that kicad.exe program.  We have to support multiple
concurrently open projects, so the UI model in kicad.exe is not golden or set in stone for
that.

See here, read the entire document, and look at milestone C):

   https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kicad/+spec/modular-kicad

(click on the link "Read the full specification".)

I have most of milestone A) done, and when its done it will get a week of testing, then
merged into product branch.  I also have some of milestone B) done, and that will come
with the testing and merging also.  For milestone B) that work will probably be done "in
product tree", as it pertains only to kicad.exe.

Milestone C) is the wxPython alternative to kicad.exe.  With that work, we open the doors
to numerous contributors who can only be productive in the python world, not the C++
world.  And I expect that it may take some time before the wxPython stuff brings more
value than the kicad.exe (C++) project manager.  However, since its a higher level
language, with more contributors, that form will eventually win out.

Dick