Re: Libs downloading from github

On 04/11/2014 04:29 AM, Fabrizio Tappero wrote:
> Hello
> I sometimes get contacted by people who install KiCad and get quite upset that there r not
> lib components. Later on when all the auto downloading from github has worked his magic,
> the same people contacting me and tell me how great everything is and life continues.
> My questions are:

> - would it be worth to warn users that libs are or their way if connection allows?

That last sentence is not intelligible English.

> - how long does it take for the whole lib download to happen?

$ time <kicad_src>/scripts/library-sources-install.sh --install-or-update

Do it on Sunday for best results.

Do it every Sunday if you want to stay current.

In any case, if you add enough libraries, say low hundreds, local or via github,
eventually your system will become slow during the library loading process.  The astute
user who is speed conscious will minimize the libraries in the global table, down to say 4
or 5 that are used on every project, and put the balance of the project's needs in the
project specific table.  This way even the github approach is quite usable and snappy.

But you cannot approach this without an understanding.  And since people are not reading
the manual and not willing to make videos and not willing to make postings to the user's
mailing list, I no longer care about people's understanding.

Without an understanding, people will be flailing.  Let the flailing continue, it's no
longer my concern.  They can get a full refund if they ask, although if they ask, I'd ask
for a restocking fee.