IPC-7351 Footprint wizard

Hi,
  First of all thank to everyone for such a great sotfware!

After using kicad for some months, i decided to start to implement
an IPC-7351 compliant footprint wizard that will cover several packages,
listed in standard itself.

This also will be, for me, a good starting point to study the internals of
kicad,
starting from pcbnew.

My plan is to do a dialog based wizard, mainly because we will have to deal
also with
choice based parameters (radio buttons, dropdowns, etc.). The numeric
"parameter list" will also change dynamically based on that choices.

Looking on how to implement this, i see two choices:

1. implement the entire wizards and dialogs in C++, adding a starting
button (New IPC Footprint wizard) in module editor.

2. Extend the python scripting footprint wizard, allowing choices-based
(radio-buttons, dropdowns menus, etc) fields, dynamic parameters, and
wxPython dialogs.

Consider that the dialogs would also display some help images (with
standard reference quoting) and a small preview window that will change as
soon as you change parameters or choices into the dialog itself.

What do you think about it?

Thanks,
  Francesco

Follow ups