Re: IPC-7351 Footprint wizard

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 09:57:26AM +0200, Francesco Del Degan wrote:

> After using kicad for some months, i decided to start to implement
> an IPC-7351 compliant footprint wizard that will cover several packages,
> listed in standard itself.

Another one that bought the standard? nice:D
I did an explanation document a while ago if you need more informations
on the computation itself.

> 1. implement the entire wizards and dialogs in C++, adding a starting
> button (New IPC Footprint wizard) in module editor.

Noooo... foolish, we have python *and* a launchpoint for footprint
creation.

> 2. Extend the python scripting footprint wizard, allowing choices-based
> (radio-buttons, dropdowns menus, etc) fields, dynamic parameters, and
> wxPython dialogs.

That's the way to do it.

> Consider that the dialogs would also display some help images (with
> standard reference quoting) and a small preview window that will change as
> soon as you change parameters or choices into the dialog itself.

I.e. exactly all the others IPC wizards...

Just a thing: it would be nice to use the JEDEC symbols instead of the
old IPC ones. The C revision is due to publish since something like june
of last year, and they seem to have adopted them too.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl