Re: Forward-compatibility in s-expression formats

On 06/05/14 21:47, Jean-Paul Louis wrote:
Why not collect all the field of any part being loaded, and consider
all the fields that are not known as “user defined fields”?

In future you may want you use a word for a new field, and you don't really want to stomp on some poor sap who thought he could hide his internal stock number in "sku", but now KiCad wants to use it for "Saalbach Kondensator Union".

I support user-definable keys, and I quite like the CSS approach to this, where the extension keys start with "-prefix", eg "-moz-hyphens". Or the HTML DOM where data elements look like "data-something", and are ignored by everything that is not looking for them.

I would not agree to have a part_reference to be the combination of
two of my user fields that are Supplier1 and PN_Supplier1, Supplier2
and PN_Supplier2, etc..

Part references were just an off-the-cuff example, I'm not proposing adding them to footprints.

Just keep those fields, that would allows the program to load ANY
legacy part without breaking the bank.

That's exactly what I mean - older versions of KiCad should be able to ignore, but retain, unknown data.