Re: Forward-compatibility in s-expression formats

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 03:41:51PM -0700, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
> I was thinking of the same sort of mechanism; after all, it's been done numerous times before (including for example the PostScript and PDF specifications).

On an extreme, ASN.1 has an explicit mark for the point where to add
stuff (an a metric ton of rules on how to handle it *still* keeping
robustness).

Postscript and PDF just use the 'dictionary' trick to handle unknown
data (if I don't ask for it, I don't see it). Also the whole LUA
language works with that.

Replace 'dictionary' with 'list' and you have the usual sexp way of
doing things (i.e. first parse the whole sexp and then look in it for
interesting stuff).

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl