Re: [Kicad-lib-committers] Remarks to KiCad Library Convention

From: Lorenzo Marcantonio
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 12:11:25 +0200

> > So special remarks like EBC or GSD should be omitted. To seldom in > > use.
>
> I think the opposite is true unless in schematic you call the pins
> 123. And then good luck with reversed or permuted packages.

Permuted packages? No problem. Create as many symbols as needed to
match *one* stable footprint with *one* stable pinning.
I prepare my libraries to use this system. When I'm placing component
on schematic I don't care about footprint and his pin variation because
it's hard-coded in symbol, and I'm sure that when I'm select "SOT-23" it will be fit at 100%.
There is no cost to create symbols and huge amount of aliases if needed.

> Also while
> routing is quite useful to see that a pin is a gate instead of of,
> say, just pin 1.

If you design something you know your circuit and used components. So
you will be know where your gate is. Even if you're a contractor PCB
designer then you got an experience to recognize the circuit or simply
ask for full schematic.

> it's just easier to duplicate the package and
> rename the pins :D

It's easiest to create proper symbols. :P

> Then you have the diodes. Good luck with them. Single diode, common
> anode, common cathode and series. Sometimes the Zeners have a
> different layout than the vanilla diode (rare).

Same as above.

> Given this, forget the idea of the perfect library:D

It's only a matter of time and desires.

> > De morgan is seldom used here, because there are no more big logical
> > gates boards around anymore. Only one or to logical ICs besides the
> > controllers, and there is no need for demorgan.
>
> Demorgan was never used anyway AFAIK, since if you can't do it on the
> spot you need to change line of work anyway. But it was there on OrCAD
> 1.0, so maybe is a relic of the past.

IMHO if some day KiCad receive ability to generate EDIF files this
feature will be useful. Sometimes it is easiest to draw your ideas
using gates instead of writing it using HDL.

BTW: It would be fantastic if discussion about libraries do not split
over here and there. :(

Kerusey Karyu