Re: CERN work package 4 (Extend number of layers)

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 05:29:48PM -0400, Jean-Paul Louis wrote:
> Edge.Cut was not an obvious candidate for me, but I can live with that name, but I think it should one of the mandatory layers, not a user defined one. Every PCB will need an outline, and circles and arcs would be nice if allowed in outlines.

It's *extremely* mandatory and it has a lot of special cases, don't
worry about that... arcs are allowed in outlines (however you can only
draw arcs of 90 degrees, now...)

> About the height of the parts, I agree with Tom that this should be a field in the Footprint itself, as that’s where the physical info (dimensions) of the part (pads, holes) is/can be stored. Height of the part is very important for placement machines, and is used to define the sequence of parts, i.e. the tallest parts are placed last. Usually not an issue with chip shooters, but down the line, it is critical for the IC and Odd Shape placer/inserter.

I think is better to use the IDF info (or, conversely, use that value to
build a 'default' IDF from the assembly drawing). And anyway these are
problems appearing looong way after the layout process, I don't think we
should care. Machine operators know better than you and me. And have
very expensive software provided with the very expensive machine to do
these consideration.

Otherwise the first thing you'll have to do is to sort the drill tape
for minimum travel...without knowing how the mill is tooled, of course.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl