Re: Static variables in module editor

On 06/10/2014 06:02 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
The attached patch will give you an idea of proposed changes.

Regards,
Orson

We can kill two birds with one stone here.

I like your changes, but they are insufficient to preserve the current behaviour.  With a
little bit of work we can accomplish a couple of useful things.

I think we need to save that footprint in the PROJECT.  Maybe put it there upon wxFrame
destruction, and go get it upon wxFrame creation.  That makes it project specific.

I plan on renaming the PROJECT::RPath() infrastructure to RString().  That is it will hold
wxStrings instead of the goofy RETAINED_PATH.  What is now RETAINED_PATH can also go into
the RString() holder.  enum RETPATH_T becomes RETSTRING_T.

:

I can do the RString() change in the next half day, and it's something I intended to do
anyways.

Orson, this set of changes had to happen anyways as we moved to multiple open projects, so
I  welcome your help and cooperation.

I committed class PROJECT::GetRString() and SetRString() in rev. 4934, paving the way for
saving the MODULE in a session and project specific location and retaining the current UI
behaviour, while clearing some of the clutter in the path of multiple open projects.

Hi Dick,

I agree with Lorenzo and Tom - I prefer the module editor to start either empty or with a footprint loaded from library or board, without storing anything inside. How often does it happen to you to make use of the feature? I guess the module editor is primarily invoked to either modify a specific footprint from a board/library or to create a new one. However, I strongly believe we need to cooperate. Sometimes it leads to a compromise, but the final decision is particularly crucial if other main developers agree on the subject. Wayne, Jean-Pierre - I am willing to hear your opinion on the topic. Given everyone shares the view, then having a choice between adding more static fields to the module editor or the above solution, I pick your proposal. Thank you for the advices and the groundwork that will definitely ease the task.

Regards,
Orson