Re: Static variables in module editor

On 06/10/2014 11:41 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:

>>> We can kill two birds with one stone here.
>>>
>>> I like your changes, but they are insufficient to preserve the current behaviour.  With a
>>> little bit of work we can accomplish a couple of useful things.
>>>
>>> I think we need to save that footprint in the PROJECT.  Maybe put it there upon wxFrame
>>> destruction, and go get it upon wxFrame creation.  That makes it project specific.
>>>
>>> I plan on renaming the PROJECT::RPath() infrastructure to RString().  That is it will hold
>>> wxStrings instead of the goofy RETAINED_PATH.  What is now RETAINED_PATH can also go into
>>> the RString() holder.  enum RETPATH_T becomes RETSTRING_T.
>>
>> :
>>
>>> I can do the RString() change in the next half day, and it's something I intended to do
>>> anyways.
>>>
>>> Orson, this set of changes had to happen anyways as we moved to multiple open projects, so
>>> I  welcome your help and cooperation.
>>
>> I committed class PROJECT::GetRString() and SetRString() in rev. 4934, paving the way for
>> saving the MODULE in a session and project specific location and retaining the current UI
>> behaviour, while clearing some of the clutter in the path of multiple open projects.
>
> Hi Dick,
>
> I agree with Lorenzo and Tom - I prefer the module editor to start
> either empty or with a footprint loaded from library or board,

We are debating "the current UI behaviour" vs. "some new undefined UI behaviour".

Here is the current behaviour, which I'm arguing should be preserved:

CURRENT BEHAVIOUR:
==================
On the *second or subsequent* time you enter the module editor within a given process
session, show the MODULE you were working on from the previous life of FOOTPRINT_EDIT_FRAME.

If its the first time that FOOTPRINT_EDIT_FRAME is shown within a given process session,
then show an empty screen (no module).

Note that it is not uncommon to close the FOOTPRINT_EDIT_FRAME if you only have a single
monitor.  When you re-enter the module editor, Jean-Pierre and I thought that it made
sense to go back to the MODULE that you had been working on.

Note that the MODULE "you had been working on" *must* have come from either the BOARD, or
one of the libraries associated with what: the current project.  I think this dovetails
precisely into the last part of your last sentence above.

The Kiway() window DNA gives each instantiation of the FOOTPRINT_EDIT_FRAME its own
PROJECT.  This is not going to change anytime soon.