can't find kicad.pro

Hi,

I'm running kicad (2014-05-31 BZR 4902)-product on MacOS from a build I downloaded and i'm having a serious problem.

It's been working fine for a while, i have made boards and done some work with it. But i was never able to create a new project, either blank or from a template. It always said "Error: Can't find kicad.pro" or something like that. (Sorry, it doesn't allow me to copy text from the error dialog for some reason, although i can highlight the text)

but today I was asking on IRC where i'm supposed to find or put kicad.pro on the mac, and to describe the error i tried again to make a new project and it gave me the error "Info Project template file <kicad.pro> not found."

and then i quit kicad thinking nothing had changed. But now, if i try to open kicad, it just says "Error Unable to find kicad.pro template config file." and clicking OK just repeats the error. If you hold down the enter key, it clicks OK 30 times a second. Forever.

all the menus are greyed out, there's no option to quit or open a different project or anything. I have to force-quit kicad from the operating system (command-option-escape) which is like kill -9

help!  i have no idea what to do, or what config file got changed or what.

help?

-jake

Follow ups