Re: KiCad build.

On 8/18/2014 6:45 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> [...]
>> for me.  However, the current KiCad build insists on downloading and
>> building some libraries from source that are already installed.  This is
>> silly.  I can resolve the issues by passing all of the
>> PACKAGE_ROOT_PATHs when I run CMake but that is silly as well since my
>> build environment already points the correct path.
>>
>> Originally I intended to create a separate project to build the KiCad
>> library dependencies but I have since changed my mind.  I do *not* think
>> it is asking too much of developers to learn how to build and/or install
>> libraries on their preferred platform.  If as a developer you must have
>> this done for you automatically, I am going to please ask that *you*
>> create a separate platform specific build tool such as the excellent
>> kicad-winbuilder that Brian has created.  This will significantly
>> simplify the KiCad CMake files and eliminate the situation I described
>> above.  My preference and goal is that the KiCad CMake files be used to
>> build KiCad, not library dependencies.
>>
>> Initially, I plan to remove the dependencies that do not require any
>> patching to build which currently are avhttp, swig, cairo, libpng,
>> pixman, pcre, pkgconfig, and glew.  Then I will remove the dependencies
>> with platform specific patches which are openssl, wxwidgets and
>> wxpython.  Then I will try to figure out what to do with the problem
>> child that is Boost.  I would also suggest that all platform specific
>> library dependency build patches be remove as well leaving only the
>> Boost patches that are required for all platforms (except the context
>> switching patches).
>>
>> My goal here is not to step on anyone's toes it is to get our build
>> system under control so that I can build *KiCad* rather than figure out
>> how to get the dependencies to build or not as the platform dictates.  I
>> expect our code to be well designed and I don't think expecting the same
>> from our build system design is out of line.  If any one has major
>> objections then we will have to figure something out because I am not
>> going to continue to spend valuable time fighting our build tools to get
>> them to properly use the dependencies already installed on my platform.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Hi Wayne,
>
> I think that sounds like a sane decision, although of course KiCad
> will be subject to the bugs in other libraries, but it's up to
> distribution maintainers to sort those out in my opinion.
>
> I hope that we can use some sort of deprecation system, please mark a
> lib as being deprecated so that I can sort out Winbuilder before the
> CMake system is broke. It's much easier to work that way round as
> opposed to a reactionary approach where we break everything and then
> everyone has to fix their build before being able to do anything. I
> will do the leg work to keep the Winbuilder people happy and do any
> projects necessary to package dependencies required by it.

I will be making changes very slowly because I expect there to be some
breakage with some of the FindFoo.cmake changes I'm going to make.  This
will give everyone time to respond should I break anything.  I will be
pushing hard against adding personal install paths to every
FindFoo.cmake file.  CMake knows how to find the correct default paths
on most platforms and I will always give the developer the chance to
override those using either and environment variable or a definition on
the CMake command line for custom library testing.  I will start out
with the dependencies that don't require any patches to build and then
address the more complex ones like wxWidgets and finish up with the
nightmare that is Boost.  If I change more than one FindFoo.cmake every
two weeks, that will be a blistering pace.  The goal is to get each
dependency test working and properly designed before moving to the next one.

Cheers,

Wayne