Re: version info does not get updated

On 8/31/2014 6:09 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> On 31 August 2014 22:52, Andrew Zonenberg <azonenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What I did in my previous build systems is to regenerate the file in a
>> temporary directory then check if the files had the same hash. If they
>> didn't I'd update the file.
>>
>> This way, if you don't change the file's contents it doesn't get touched
>> and nothign else gets rebuilt.
>>

> Yeah, everything's possible, but when you're doing local commits
> you're still going to get needless compilation and relinking because
> the bzr rev number has changed. Generally the bzr revno is a bit of a
> pain for developers if you commit often but useful for everyone else.
>
> I guess someone could improve the situation if they had the time, but
> re-compilation and re-linking everytime would be a bit of a step
> backwards.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Brian.

I have this on my list of things to look at.  It should be possible to
get CMake to generate make files that compare the source repo version
against the version.h file and recreate it as required every time make
is run.  Currently, the only time version.h gets updated is when the
CMake files are modified or make rebuild_cache is run.