Re: kicad-pcb.org

On 03/09/14 04:28, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 8/31/2014 6:49 PM, Aaron Pelly wrote:
On 01/09/14 02:08, Maciej Sumiński wrote:

On 08/31/2014 12:13 AM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
[snip]
Is there anyone on the list with web page skills?
Sounds like a good opportunity to ask people on the users mailing list
too. KiCad would not suffer from a few extra contributors.

Regards,
Orson
Hi guys,

I've been lurking in here for a few months, with nothing of value to
contribute. Perhaps I can lend a hand here? I'm no expert, but I'm
capable, and more than happy to spend some hours working on whatever you
think is appropriate. English is my first language and I'm reasonably
articulate.

Perhaps Wayne could suggest something small for me to have a crack at;
then you can judge by the result? I'm following the conversation either
way.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

It looks like Marco might be the guy to head up converting our user
documentation to a new format.  If you are interested, helping out with
the user documentation is one of the places where KiCad as lagged.  The
project would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi Wayne, Marco,

I was specifically thinking about the website, but sure; I'm happy to make any contribution I'm capable of. I don't think I'm experienced enough to contribute on my own, but I'm happy to accept guidance.

For instance, if you have web content you've drafted, or even bullet-pointed, I'm happy to flesh it out/format it/post it/whatever.

Regarding the documentation; I've only referred to it briefly, but I do like docco online. It's easy to search, have multiple tabs open, have multiple versions etc. I'm thinking of the Apache and PHP docco when I say this. I've always got a browser window open, one click away, so I'm damned if I'm going to piss about finding the doc directory for yet another application. Well, that's my attitude sometimes anyway.

There were comments about GIMP's good documentation and markup earlier. Again, I've never read it, but always found what I wanted online.

It's possible that my behaviour is learned from using applications with poor documentation, or poor access. PDFs fall into the poor access category. Maybe I've just never used a good reader?

These are idle, broad, comments. I have not been around enough to have any strong opinion about KiCad. I will say that, on first impression, the KiCad docco does seem extremely broad and complete.

Anyway, Marco, perhaps you can suggest some stuff I could make a start on?

Cheers,
Aaron.