Re: P&S plans for the near future

Hi,

How about looking into this usability issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1342920

Moses

On 09/18/2014 11:04 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
Dear all,

We are planning to introduce some improvements to the P&S router before the
first lightweight stable release of Kicad comes out. Here's are the things we'd
like to get done by the end of November:

1) Length tuning tool

An automatic tool generating "accordions"/"meanders" on a chosen trace to match
the given length. The first version of the tool will simply let you choose the
pads and the required electrical distance between them. We may do the same for
diff pairs if time permits.

2) Diff pair router

An extension to the P&S allowing to route both traces of a pair with a
constrained gap between and adding vias at appropriate spacing. For the first
version we aim to input the gaps/spacings by hand, later on we will probably add
such the possibility of adding such constraints on the schematic, but this
depends on the eeschema schedule.

3) On-line length measurement - display a fly-over window with the length/skew
of the currently routed trace/diff pair.

4) Some optimizations/improvements/bugfixes
- springback on via dragging
- optimizer improvements (better acute/right angle removal, tighter routing)
- improved layer switching
- optimizations to the P&S storage model
- support for non-orthogonal pads

If there's any particular stuff you'd like to ask for or discuss, don't hesitate
to tell us!

Most of these changes are internal to the P&S code only and don't affect other
Kicad components.

I'd also like to add support for arcs on copper layers (for efficient
representation of miters/meanders). Contrary to the current graphical arc
object, I'd propose to approximate them using line segments (and store as such
approximations) so that there's no need to add full arc support (for
plotter/DRC/etc). What do you think?

Cheers,
Tom