Re: [RFC]: Make hotkey editor polished

On 5 October 2014 18:52, Mark Roszko <mark.roszko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

> I've been poking with KiCAD for awhile and decided to contribute.

> Using Bazaar was the first hurdle, thankfully I gave up and used the

> git bridge. I otherwise have no idea how development goes.

> I've always thought the hotkey editor was a bit "unpolished" so I'm

> submitting patches to make it pretty. Of course that is subjective but

> I recommend applying the patches to see the difference.

Compiles and works fine for me (Arch Linux, wxwidgets 3.0.1). Looks nice
too.

> Changes.

> 1. No longer open fixed at max screen height. You need to visually

> scan through the list of items to find what you want regardless,

> making it max height doesn't necessarily make this any easier than

> scrolling. Put action buttons at the bottom. Increase base width and

> height of window to compensate. Logic added to expand column headers

> automatically to match width of window.

> 2. Add logic to fix bug #706361. It will now ask if you want to reuse

> the key. The old assignment gets set to "0" which currently causes

> "<unknown>" to display but does disable the action. I don't see the

> harm in a hotkey action not being binded to anything since it's a
> users choice anyway.

Works well, but the grammar needs fixing: "change it's assignment" should
be "change its assignment". I'm also wondering if the angle brackets around
the action are needed (I have no problem with them around the key).

> > 3. Section headers are bolded to stand out

> 4. Selection cell, cursor  hidery. This was annoying because wxGrid

> itself is annoying and lacking in options. So I disguised things

> properly that these "unused" features are never seen.

> 5. Add descriptive text to at least mention that right click gives you

> more options. Got to be a little newb friendly here as that isn't
> obvious to everyone.

"press your keyboard keys" sounds a bit clunky. Maybe "press a new key
combination"?

> I've pushed my changes to
https://code.launchpad.net/~mark-roszko/kicad/kicad

If anybody wants a diff, you can get it from

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mark-roszko/kicad/kicad/revision/5166?remember=5162&compare_revid=5162

NB it applied to 5163 with no trouble.

This might be a slight hijack of the thread, but could be a good time for a
design decision: could we put all the stuff in the hotkey menu into the one
dialog? The hotkey editor is at least as usable (arguably nicer looking
now) for listing keys as the 'list current hotkeys' dialog, and the
import/export could be triggered from buttons on the hotkey editor. Maybe
rename it to 'Hotkey manager' or something? IMO this would be a cleaner
interface -- thoughts?

Cheers,
Blair