web eda tools: adapt or die

On the geda-user mailing list started a _very_ interesting discussion
about the future of open source EDA tools and openhardware trends.

See: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cad.geda.user/44049

The event that kindled the discussion is the eruption of new web
tools like these:

http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/scheme-it
https://upverter.com/

There is a big mediatic pressure to use this kind of web/cloud tools

http://electronicdesign.com/products/still-drawing-circuits-napkin-try-scheme-it-instead

And someone see these as what really are: a new and powerfull kind of lock-in.
The real problem? As always: the document format.

Adapt or die. How to remedy?

 - unite the scarce resurces: you may say I am a bit naive but I always
 wondered the reason of the existence of two so similar (at aim) projects
 like geda and kicad. What about to keep in touch more and try to, if not
 coalesce, integrate better what can be easiling united like component libs?

 - try to create a common format to use or try to consider the other
 free formats more in a way to make easier to import/export from/to these
 sibling projects with the goal to be able, one day, to use a unique common
 source

What do you think?

--

Marco Ciampa