Re: A few questions about preferences

On 10/27/2014 04:00 AM, Garth Corral wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a a few questions for someone more familiar with the code
> than me.  Mostly about preferences, but also one random question
> that has me scratching my head, bearing in mind that I’m not a C++
> guy.  I’ll start with that one.
>
> Is there a reason that WX_VIEW_CONTROLS coerces it’s aParentPanel
> argument to its superclass type?  EDA_DRAW_PANEL_GAL instantiates
> one of these and passes an instance of itself, but WX_VIEW_CONTROLS
> coerces it to a wxWindow*.  This means casting is needed to get at
> the subclass’ public members.   Again, I’m not a C++ guy, but I
> couldn’t figure out the reason for this.

Hi Garth,

WX_VIEW_CONTROLS was written to work with any generic wxWindow. There
is no casting to EDA_DRAW_PANEL_GAL as it uses only functions offered
by wxWindow class.

> Another question about the current implementation.  I notice that
> neither the EDA_DRAW_PANEL_GAL nor EDA_3D_CANVAS honor the mouse
> preferences, e.g. middle button panning, and making them do so
> essentially requires duplicating what is implemented for
> EDA_DRAW_PANEL.  It seems like these preferences belong somewhere
> else, like maybe EDA_DRAW_FRAME (or maybe there’s somewhere more
> appropriate).  I guess my question is whether anyone has done any
> work in this area or looked at it enough to have an opinion about
> it.

It would be better if it was unified and specified in only one place.
At first sight, EDA_DRAW_FRAME seems like a good candidate, but only
for preferences that are common to every panel.

Another solution would be to provide a class that stores common
preferences (e.g. EDA_PREFERENCES) and then other classes that extend
it to provide settings specific to an application (e.g.
EDA_PREFERENCES_PCBNEW).

I hope that one day we will use GAL exclusively, and the problem of
separate settings will disappear.

Regards,
Orson