Re: emacs switches to Git

On 11/12/2014 6:00 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
> On 12.11.2014 11:16, Joel Holdsworth wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> emacs is now pressing ahead with a transition to Git:
>> (...)
>> seems now would be a great time to consider it.
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> I fully agree that a transition to Git would be beneficial at some point
> (I use git-bzr to work with Kicad anyway). I wouldn't do it right now
> though. Let's focus on the upcoming stable release and, if Wayne and JP
> agree, consider moving to Git when things calm down ;)
>
> Regards,
> Tom

If we choose to transition to git, it would definitely be after the
stable release.  We already have a git mirror on github for developers
who prefer to use git for development or as Tom suggested git-bzr is an
alternative.  I think moving to git makes sense given that the
development of bazaar appears to have stalled.  That being said I'm not
a "let's do it because that's what all the cool kids are doing" kind of
guy.  Any vcs/hosting site transition needs to be considered and planned
carefully.  I remember the grief caused by the transition from
subversion/sourceforge to bazaar/launchpad so I'm in no hurry to go
through that again.  What is less clear is the hosting sight.  I'm am
less than thrilled with using github because AFAIK it is not free
software.  Does launch pad support git?  In any event, there are a lot
of things to consider before the project makes such a move.