Re: Some schematics library structure ideas

> Hi,
>
> I’m the one that report a bug about default CP in Github yesterday.  (
> https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/issues/97).
> I think your idea is great.

thanks

> 1. A common schematic:
>
> It can be a base symbol witch contains the schematic and pin name.
> And extra info by « footprint » who relied footprint pin number to the pin
> name. Also, a pin name should be able to have several pin number.

I think that the base symbol will be nearly (or even exactly) the same as a
common component DEF entry (with or without special flag) and it will be
just referred in the DRAW statement of later components with some
parametric settings(at least pin renames/renumbers).

> 2. Different images of the same schematic component.
>

> Kicad can have a sort of « gettext » for standard symbol and an American
> user will get a US symbol and a European an IEC symbol each time he
> selects, for example, a resistance.
> Maybe this info can be a « per user » settings and not stored in .pro or
> .sch file.
>
> You propose to use different schematic symbols according to the user
preferences for each scheam he loads? I would have avoided such variant in
favor of one-click-convention variant in case we want a bit of automation
in this. Also there will be some more problems: I suppose not all variants
for many component may be mapped pin to pin to each other: e.g. the
rectangle for resistance in GOST must be strictly 4x10mm. The current one
in kicad is about 2x8mm which is the IEC one I suppose (should be about 1x4
units, I haven't found the accurate information), I have found no sizing
information on the US standard....

So the best way IMO is to just propose the default symbol according to the
user settings. (or is that what you meant before?=) )
But that also will require some tagging information inside the library.

> 3. To store pin number of component in additional field.
>
> This can be an info in the « by footprint » part.
>

> Example of additional info for a Maxim DS18B20 with 3 connected pin :
>  Vdd, DQ and GND

>  Note: User don’t select this in Eeschema, but in Cvpcb.

The schematic supposed to have correct pin numbers, so the user still will
have to select the case on that stage. Also I don't really see how that
could be implemented.
But in case of implementing the idea #2 we can ease that process of switch
between different cases without deleting/inserting the element itself...